Monday 18 June 2012

Another walk in the city – I



Its not easy maintaining a blog. Especially when ideas simply do not strike you as to what to write about. Thinking about it, I told myself, "Enough of deep stuff for a while." This one is light and breezy which surely needs no additional explanation.

 

“Ma, not again”, I shouted, horrified. 

It was only yesterday that I had purchased 4 packets of milk for her.

“Most of the milk is going to your stomach only”, was her constant defence.

Sighing, I got dressed for the umpteenth time this vacation. Seldom was I left alone to the privacy of my room. Some errand would come up or should I say, my sweet mother would cook them up and within 2 hours
of her pestering, I would be up and walking about in the main road. Shopkeepers would wink at me, understanding my plight. Or so I figured, putting on the new tracks I purchased over the holidays.

“Look at yourself in the mirror. Wont you?” my mom asked.

Bah! Why was she like this? Always pointing out some non-existent flaw in my appearance. She was right for once. My hair looked all over the place. I grabbed a comb and straightened them and then tried to give it a George Clooney makeover. Hmmm.... there. All flat and neat.  

Snatching the list from her fingers, I took some cash and left the apartment before her words could drill its way into my ears any further.




“Wow, what an evening!” I loudly exclaimed, to no one in particular.

The moment I stepped out of my hidey-hole, I could feel myself, my blood surging with a joy that was indescribable, in sync with the winds of the calm sky that welcomed, along with its observers below, the glorious retirement of the sun. This is where I belong, I thought. Nothing more gratified me than the sights of a busy evening on the streets. Feeling slightly more cheerful, I set off, humming the groovy tunes of the Black Eyed Peas.

I crossed the heavily parked street and took the right on the main road, on foot to the usual destination- the departmental store. The humming was drowned in the needless honking of the oncoming traffic, which, in itself, was a rhythm of its own. Soon, I found myself thinking about my old school days, college issues and my plans for the remaining holidays. Occasionally, I stole glances at the pretty women who walked past me. More like glassy-eyed stares actually. I was too absorbed in my own thoughts to take in anything.....

Back in college, people always thought I walked too fast and they found it quite hilarious. Every time I looked up and smiled at my batch mates, they would straighten up, swing their arms and march right past me. Perhaps an overtly tried imitation of my walking, I guessed as they continued marching, unable to suppress sniggers. But this did not bother me at all. In fact, I strongly believed that a brisk walk, especially during the mornings, would pump the blood up and keeps a man awake and fresh for the entire day. Moreover, no one on a mission who values his time aimlessly rambles towards his destination (with the obvious exception of lovebirds).

I blinked. Standing outside the store, I looked around the place. Everyone was quite busy, bustling about with their own chores and most likely, immersed in their own thoughts too. I smiled, realizing someone was waiting for my arrival at home. Taking a basket to carry the items, I straightened up, swung my arms and marched right into the store!

To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Nice, really good writing. Entertaining post. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. The situation with your mother.. reminds me of this guy I used to know.. his mother was very over zealous, over bearing at times but in the end, he was always there for her. He was her son.. she was his mother.. and no one messes with a guy's mother!!! LOL! Very entertaining post.. I'd say you captured the rising tensions very well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyscape

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Checker