Friday 12 July 2013

THE Autodriver - Hidden truths about Chennai

Let me skip the part where I say this happened when I was doing my internship and I chose to meet up with my almost-always-awfully-late but an awesome project partner in the evenings at Express Avenue - Chennai's best and most celebrated mall in the recent times. Simply put, the atmosphere was condusive there. Well, there was this fashion show that took place with gorgeuos models with glowing skin and rich dresses which I shall....Ahem ahem...conveniently skip (Now now, no groaning) to discuss matters of greater significance.

Note: All conversations are in English, for readers' convenience.





"Express Avenue", I said firmly to an auto I just managed to catch in a road that literally boasted CARS loudly.

"Evalo aavum (How much is the fare)", I asked promptly before setting my right foot inside the vehicle.

"Nooru ruva."

I set my right foot firmly inside the auto, carefully stowed my laptop bag to the side and started the trip, satisfied with his character. Little did I know that my next sentence would be the basis for this very post you are now reading.



"Eppome ninety thaan kudukarathu (I have always given only Rs 90)", said I, employing a sort of kind haggle technique which always went well with my innocent face. (No ahem ahem-ing now, alright?)

I heard him mumble "Nyaayamaa thaan sir kekure" or something like that. That was the only part of that journey I didnt catch his words. I noticed that he had red kumkum on his forehead, with a face that was written "I have no bad habits" all over his face.

I dont remember how exactly it all started. All I knew was that there was something itching inside me for a long time and it was time to get rid of that itch.

"Why do the Auto drivers charge too much these days??", I asked, finally venting my feelings to him.







I've always maintained that Chennai is a wonderful city. I've loved it from my birth in Chennai. I may not be a regular tamilian, nor know the language. Or even do stuff that are tamilian. But 19 years in this city taught me a lot, made me what I was, with the city offering selflessly to all its lovers with growth, scenaries and businesses alike. I could not and still cant bear to hear someone berating my city like this. Namma Chennai da this is, we would all have said at some stage of our childhood.

Abhilash Radhakrishnan , my college mate, is someone who has similarly fierce feelings for the city like me. We used to discuss Chennai at length, be it the Super Kings of IPL cricket, be it the school days or be it the memories of the juice shop visits during our childhood. He would tell you everything about what the city can be proud about but here are a few pointers from another staunch lover - Me!

1. Marina Beach of Chennai is the second largest urban beach in the world.

2. The place of Chennai maintains its old name with buildings and monuments like Spencer Plaza, Valluar Kottam, The Museum at Egmore and loads more.

3. Almost every single area's name inside Chennai has a history as to how the place was called that. For instance, check about Tambaram Santorium HERE You'l be amazed to know that this city was built around different great men and many glorious achievements/establishments.

4. Least terrorist attacks and other such calamities.

5. Oh please, for gods sake, we have a world class cricket stadium. That comes with a packed stands everytime a match is played there, regardless of the format or tournament.

What did you say? Oh yeah, we are narrow minded?

6. We have a tennis stadium too. The Chennai Open? Got that Mister? Ring a bell? Now dont retort saying, "Ha, you dont have a football stadium!"

But ask some narrow minded people about Chennai, this is what they come up with,

Comment: "Aaaah, doood, its very hooootttt there da. How do you live there?"
My take: You mean the girls are hot here? Thank you. We are proud about that.
My take2: Its hot and we shouldnt live there? Cos we are hard-assed? Get lost!

Comment: "Those ricksha-waalas charge too much. Bloody fellows"
My take: (thinking "Oh shit") Urm, well eh....so how's college these days? Got your marksheet?!!

For all those who know me well, they wouldnt be able to answer to this hating me with a straight face! Ha! Well, thats the deflection I used. ATLEAST TILL NOW. NOT ANYMORE.

Well, they did have a point. The weather is not in our control. Fine. Accepted. On my face. But how could they comment about the auto-drivers in such a sinister fashion? Its true that ironically even the elderly of our city, who revere this city from its old days, are tired with sky-high rates these ricksha-wallas charge for travelling distances that are perhaps, only 10 times the distances from our bedroom to the kitchen!

I did not have a comeback to this question. ATLEAST TILL NOW. NOT ANYMORE.







"We dont have a choice kanna.", our autodriver started, as if explaining how fates cannot be changed to a 5 year old kid. "One thing is that the petrol prices have increased a lot from before. We are not fnding it easy to meet our needs. Secondly, we try to do our best when most of the roads are made one way due to the construction of Chennai Metro. Probably the rates may come down, once construction is over by 2016."

Firstly, tamilians? Remember that Vivek comedy scene with take-diversion written everywhere that he had to end up at Tirupati with Vijay? Well, its not that bad here with the one-ways.

Secondly, HA! Even WE will have a metro three years from now! Yay! Apdi Podu.

"Antha traffickle we wont get enough savari(customers) everyday. So we are forced to charge a lot at night times when customers are scarce."

"Aaama driver sir, very true! Night ellam we are charged too much", I observed.

Then he proceeded to tell a story two stories.

One was about an elderly person offering to pay only Rs80 for a journey to Perambur from Egmore. This autodriver charged very lenient rates of Rs 150 when any other person wouldve charged "nominal" rates of Rs 200. This miser of a customer wouldnt even settle for Rs 120!

The second story is about a relative of our very own autodriver, newly-wed who came from Bangalore , arrived at Chennai at 5 am. He was charged a whopping 400 Rs from Central station to Nungambakkam. Extortion indeed! Huge extortion. I cried foul with my driver at this point!

This really goes to show we cannot take auto-drivers at Chennai 'for a ride!' They are street-smart and have this common ability of spotting the real Chennaiites and the rest of the travellers. I think this ability arose from eating Chennai meals every afternoon at various places with the 'kozhambu' and stuff? I dont know. But you've got to give them credit. Back to our driver's story.


"In Kerala, it is three times less rates there. Bangalore also not that much, like us."

 I could deduce the tone he used. Something of a soft and genuine "Topography theriyama intha aalunga vanthu deal pesuvaanga" which translates to "Different geographies are running on different needs and levels and there are people who dont realize that, going about their everyday usual lives."

He continued, "During rainy times, we have to drive in half-clutch, else water enters  inside and the vehicle stops. So we raise the prices at night."

I had to hand it to this guy. He was making sense. I felt a rush of gratitude to him for answering honestly without emotion and hatred. Surely a seasoned campaigner and young at heart.

Then he shifted topic to more mundane matters as to how hotel owners dont take blame for valuables or lost cupboard keys. Well, my interest ebbed away and all I did was smile and nod with him for five long minutes, suddenly aware of the 5:15 Chennai traffic.

Perhaps he was also smart. He mightve sensed that he failed to engage my interest as with the topic of Chennai Autos. So, he shifted gears again. Back to square one, he said something about autos again which made me ask another question,

"What about the meter? Why do you even have it in you vehicle? Why cant you ask for change in the meter about the 'per km cost' rate?"

"Protocol, boss. Let me tell you this. It is a rule that we must have a meter. See pa, we guys are in discussion with the governement. There IS demand for autos here in Chennai and WE know that. The reason why nobody uses the meter is that it is priced too low. Now, its a min charg of Rs15 whereas we want a min of Rs 20 on the meter. They are not ready to listen, but we are speaking."


At that moment, some cars honked behind. Sheesh! Time flew fast! Express Avenue was gloriously standing tall a  few meters away from me.

"Aaah, inga oroma park pannidunngo." Another one-liner from my bag.

"Seri, inthaango. Smarta pesuneenga" and paid him Rupess 110, 10 more than his price. He refused it gently but I managed to find his shirt pocket and put it inside.

"Aaama, unga peru sir?" I asked his name, gratified and with some admiration.

"Manikandan"

"Seri, paapom Manikandan. Romba thanks."





As I walked towards the mall, I kept wonering, how these drivers could resent us, going into malls dressed as posh as possible. But they dont. I am glad we, especially the ladies, can board an auto, trusting an eager driver, even at 11 in the night wheareas that is not the case in Kerala.

I am not saying Im sentimental about my city.
I am also not saying Chennai is the best city in India. Mumbai has expanded and grown greatly, their girls are chic, their stores are alive and kicking 24/7. Delhi is the country's capital. Kolkatta have a decent metro railway and all other things they are famous for.


I am just informing my readers that we Chennaiites are good people and that behind every extortion, there is a story! Like this one.
For Sherlock, it was THE woman. For me, it was THE autodriver. Hence the CAPS in the title.

Ithu enga city. Namma Chennai. Embrace the city and the vibrant life it offers and stop cribbing about the niceties you didnt recieve from the rickshawallas. Oh and Ye citizens from the Other States, if you are dropping by Chennai some day, buy a city map. It costs Rs 15. Or you could try googling it in your smartphone.




 

4 comments:

  1. now i have a come back to this question as well! :)
    btw nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lifechanging auto experience LOL :P
    Well-said!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyscape

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Checker